Our story

We spent hours on March 23, 2007, playing connect four.  She tried on some of her new spring clothes that night too.  What a perfect night we spent together.  Never did I think it was our last. 

The next morning my seven year old daughter, Nicole, went to her fathers house to spend the night. I hugged and kissed her good-bye, told her I loved her and watched her get into his vehicle.  Never thinking that would be the last time I'd ever hug or kiss her.   On the morning of March 25, 2007, I awoke to someone banging on my door.  Opening the door, all I heard was there's been a fire, you need to get to the hospital.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine what I was going to be told once I arrived at the hospital.

There was a fire. A huge fire. A fire that burnt a 5,000 sq.ft. house to the ground in minutes, leaving only the basement foundation.  A fire that burnt my little girl with 3rd degree burns over 97% of her body. A fire that ended her life on March 26, 2007.

As I held her in my arms for the last time and watched her take her last breathe, I thought how could this happen to my little girl.  How could this happen?  A four month old, twelve foot, dead Christmas tree, decorated with electric halogen lights, is how.  Nicole suffered and lost her life because those in the house didn't think of safety.

Please, know the facts. A dead Christmas tree is a serious fire hazard and never use anything other than lights made for a Christmas tree.  These two small things can save your life, your spouse, or your childs life.    

We are committed to serving our communities and providing education for fire prevention, safety and education.